10 Easy Pollution Solutions
Toxins abound in our world. Fortunately, the Environmental Working Group recently released 10 everyday pollution solutions:
1. Use cast iron pans instead of nonstick. Chemicals in Teflon pose many health hazards.
2. To avoid chemicals leaching into food, go easy on processed, canned or fast foods, and never microwave plastic. For more information, see Toxic BPA Found in Bodies of Nearly All Americans.
3. Buy organic, or eat vegetables and fruit with low pesticide loads. See this helpful Fruit and Veggie Shopping Guide for more information on making healthy choices.
4. Pregnant women should use iodized salt to combat chemical interference from the thyroid. Perchlorate, a rocket fuel ingredient, interferes with normal thyroid functioning and has been found in drinking water across the country.
5. Seal outdoor wooden structures. Treated wood can leach arsenic and other dangerous chemicals.
6. Leave your shoes at the door. This will cut down on indoor dust, germs, and pollutants.
7. Avoid perfume, cologne, and products with added fragrance. Look for fragrance-free personal care products, and avoid synthetic air fresheners. If you have an odor problem in your home or office, select safe, effective odor control air purifiers.
8. Buy products with natural fibers, like cotton and wool, that are naturally fire resistant. Avoid the chemical flame retardant PBDE. For instance, see natural Crescent Moon Bedding.
9. Eat low-mercury fish like tilapia and pollock, rather than high-mercury choices like tuna and swordfish.
10. Filter your water for drinking and cooking.