I tried the new Electrolux Pronto stick vacuum a few weeks ago. Although I loved the entire design concept of the 2 in 1 vacuum and its actual performance, I must admit that it’s not the right vacuum for my home – but it may be the perfect vacuum for you!
The Pronto vacuum is ideal for apartments, lofts, and small houses with mostly hard floors. While it works well on low-pile carpets, it is not made for use on high-pile carpets. (I have high-pile carpet and two pet cats, which is why I need a larger vacuum made for carpet cleaning.) Read more about Electrolux Pronto 2 in 1 vacuums
This summer my baby sister (who is 18 months old) started taking swimming lessons at an indoor swimming pool. I think that all children should take swimming lessons – you never know when they’ll need those skills, and swimming is great exercise – but parents also need to be aware of the health risks associated with indoor pools. Chlorine byproducts contaminate the air above indoor swimming pools and have been linked to lung damage, asthma, and cancer. Indoor pools also increase humidity, which can lead to mold growth. Read more about health problems linked to indoor swimming pools
Most house dust mites have it made. They lounge around in your bed all day, getting fat off your dead skin and reproducing like little dust bunnies. Of course, these microscopic arachnids also go to the bathroom in your bed. Yes, that’s certainly a disgusting thought, but you need to know about this. You see, it’s the fecal matter from dust mites that causes allergies and asthma among sensitive people. Read more about how to kill dust mites
The great floods of June 2008 ravaged the Midwest, destroying thousands of homes and businesses. Many homes are still under water, and many residents are still homeless.
FEMA employee Jim Segar has been reporting on the damage for The Barre Montpelier Times Argus. On July 7, Segar wrote, “There are 1.5 million people affected in Illinois with 18 counties declared disaster areas by FEMA. This region received over 10 inches of rain in less than 24 hours. Many homes in the northern section of Illinois are still under water. Read more about Midwest flood water damage
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that kills approximately 2500 Americans each year. Carbon monoxide, or CO, is found in combustion fumes from automobiles, small engines, lanterns, stoves, grills, fireplaces, gas power generators, and gas ranges and heating systems. When these fumes build up in enclosed spaces, people can easily die from breathing CO. Read more about carbon monoxide poisoning
ConsumerSearch recently released its guide to the best portable air conditioners, and I’m excited to report the results. But first, let’s review the basics:
What is a Portable Air Conditioner?
Portable air conditioners, also known as spot coolers or sometimes swamp coolers, can be moved from room to room to cool and dehumidify the air. They are freestanding, mobile, and convenient – ideal for apartments and other locations where you cannot install a window unit. Read more about portable air conditioners
Yes! According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), naturally occurring radon causes more than 20,000 lung cancer deaths each year in the U.S. alone – second only to cigarette smoking among causes of lung cancer.
Radon is a colorless, odorless, radioactive gas that’s undetectable by humans. It forms when uranium decays, and then it seeps out from rock formations and certain building materials. Read more about radon detectors
I’m very lucky. I love my job. I love writing about healthy indoor matters and helping people to make healthy choices.
But I haven’t always been so lucky. At some previous jobs, I’ve had to work in cave-like environments, totally cut off from natural sunlight. By the end of the day, after working under eye-straining fluorescent lighting for eight-plus hours, I always had worn-out eyes and a throbbing headache.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has found a toxic rocket fuel ingredient – perchlorate – in drinking water in at least 35 states, but they have no plans to regulate this dangerous chemical. Read more about perchlorate in drinking water
Ozone is a molecule consisting of three oxygen atoms that exists as an invisible gas. Ozone in the Earth’s upper atmosphere protects us from harmful solar radiation; however, ground-level ozone is an air pollutant that damages the respiratory system.
Repeated exposure to ozone can permanently scar your lung tissue and lead to asthma. Ozone inflames the lungs and makes them more responsive to allergens like pollen, pet dander, and dust mite allergen. Read more about ozone and asthma
In January 2008, Scientific American magazine shocked many members of the scientific community when it published an article that questions the practice of adding fluoride to municipal drinking water: “Second Thoughts about Fluoride.” Recent studies suggest that over-consumption of fluoride can damage teeth, bones, and the brain, particularly the thyroid gland. Read more about fluoride in drinking water
I recently had the opportunity to “test-drive” a Halo UV vacuum cleaner, and I was very impressed by its design, handling, and germ-killing ability. Halo UV vacuums feature a UV-C light bulb that kills viruses, bacteria, dust mite eggs, flea eggs, mold spores, and other germs. UV-C light bulbs have been used to kill germs in water treatment plants and hospitals for many years, and more recently, some supermarkets have started using them to sterilize shopping carts. Read more about Halo Vacuums
Welcome to the Healthy Indoor Matters blog! We have launched this blog to provide the community and our customers with news, advice, and commentary on creating and maintaining a healthy indoor environment. Please check back with us often for useful tips and information from the authors, editors, and product experts of Sylvane.
This blog is maintained by Sylvane.com, a leading provider of air treatment products.
The material on this website is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare professional regarding any questions or concerns you may have about your health or a medical condition.