Sylvane.com » Indoor Health Matters


Sylvane Better Air Program Helps You Keep Your Air Fresh

Posted by Ivey on September 30th, 2010

Better Air Program LogoRecently, my trusty Whirlpool Whispure 510 wasn’t circulating air very well and my bedroom felt stuffy. I quickly discovered the root of the problem when I removed the front cover and was greeted by two of the dirtiest filters I have ever seen. How could I have forgotten one of the simplest air purifier maintenance routines—checking and changing your air filters?

Thanks to our Better Air Program, you don’t have to suffer the same fate that I did. The Better Air Program is a free and convenient email reminder program that helps you maintain healthy indoor air by giving you a head’s up when it’s time to change the filters on your air purifiers.
Find out more about the Sylvane Better Air Program

Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves Promotes Safer Cooking Solutions

Posted by Ivey on September 23rd, 2010

Women Use Clean CookstoveAccording to the Global Alliance for Cookstoves, 1.9 million people die each year from exposure to smoke from traditional cookstoves and open fires—the primary cooking and heating method for almost 3 billion people in developing countries. Additionally, the reliance on fuels from natural resources creates severe personal security risks, especially for women and girls, as they search for wood in refugee camps and conflict zones. The use of cookstoves and indoor fires contributes to multiple chronic illnesses such as:

  • Childhood Pneumonia
  • Emphysema
  • Cataracts
  • Lung Cancer
  • Bronchitis
  • Cardiovascular Disease
  • Low Birth Weight

Plus, these cookstoves emit a range of greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide and methane, along with aerosols like black carbon, which contributes to climate change.
Find out more about the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and how to keep your home safe

Where Will Bed Bugs Strike Next?

Posted by Ivey on September 17th, 2010

Man Surrounded by Bed BugsBed bugs are everywhere. It appears that these parasites are no longer content with taking over New York City because they have found their way into homes, schools, hotels, and businesses across the nation. Recently, a Terminix study named the 15 most popular U.S. cities for bed bugs by compiling and analyzing call volume concerning the parasites to their 350 U.S. service centers. See if your city made the top 10:

  1. New York City
  2. Philadelphia
  3. Detroit
  4. Cincinnati
  5. Chicago
  6. Denver
  7. Columbus, Ohio
  8. Dayton, Ohio
  9. Washington, D.C.
  10. Los Angeles

Find out how to keep your home bed-bug free

Stop Fall Mold with DeLonghi Dehumidifiers – On Sale Now

Posted by Ivey on September 10th, 2010

DeLonghi LogoAlthough leaves changing color and falling to the ground are one of nature’s most beautiful spectacles, this decaying of plant debris can promote allergy-causing mold growth. Oftentimes, this mold finds its way into your home thanks to autumn winds or warm early fall temperatures that lead to damp homes, especially basements and bathrooms. Mold and damp environments can trigger a variety of allergic symptoms including itchy eyes, noses, and throats, headaches, sinusitis, sneezing, and more. To keep your home dry and mold-free, we are offering 20% off on any DeLonghi dehumidifier that we carry for a limited time only.
Find out more about our DeLonghi dehumidifiers

Stay Safe from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Posted by Ivey on September 1st, 2010

Cartoon Family Installing a Carbon Monoxide Gas Detector As you prepare your home for cooler weather, don’t forget to check for possible sources of carbon monoxide.

Often called the “silent killer”, carbon monoxide (CO) is a potentially lethal colorless, odorless gas that can be caused by malfunctions and leaks in many gas-, oil-, or coal-burning appliances, including:

  • Fireplaces
  • Gas Stoves and Ranges
  • Hot Water Heaters
  • Gas Refrigerators
  • Clothes Dryers

Carbon monoxide is also emitted from generators, gas-powered tools, automobiles, lawnmowers, and more.
Find out more about keeping your home safe from CO exposure