Atlanta Plant Agrees to Settlement over Chemical Odor
I was living in Atlanta a couple of summers ago when I heard reports of the onion-like chemical odor in south Fulton County.
George Nicholson clearly remembers the odor, too, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
“The smell was bothering everybody,” said Nicholson. “The dogs wouldn’t go outside.”
The odor was coming from Philip Services Corporation, a plant that treated wastewater. Over 2,000 residents claimed that the chemical odor caused health problems, and last month, the chemical plant agreed to a $4 million settlement.
Chemicals contributing to the odor include the pesticide ethoprop, a carcinogen that’s lethal in large quantities, and propyl mercaptan, which can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, and skin irritation.
Nicholson said the odor worsened his son’s allergies and made his wife congested: “At some point, [Philip Services] had to realize it was more than an odor.”
Other residents attribute more serious health problems to the chemical odor.
I wanted to post this story because it reminds me of another recent story: Chemical Leak Forms Toxic Cloud Over Pennsylvania.
Unfortunately, these types of chemical accidents happen more frequently that you’d like to think. To prepare for the threat of outdoor chemical poisoning, prepare a safe room in your home that contains an air cleaner.