Sylvane.com » Indoor Health Matters


Do-It-Yourself Mold Removal

Posted by Ivey on August 12th, 2010

Removing Bathroom MoldOn August 2, NBC’s Today Show aired a great segment on finding and removing mold from your home with advice from the DIY Network’s John DeSilvia. In the segment, DeSilvia points out that summer time is peak season for mold growth, which can cause a variety of health issues including respiratory problems and allergy flare-ups.

Mold Test KitDeSilvia suggests looking for leaky pipes, condensation, and other wet or humid areas inside your home to determine if there is a mold problem. If you don’t see any potentially damp areas or actual mold but still think you may have a problem, consider purchasing a Mold Test Kit or a Toxic Mold Test Kit. Both of these do-it-yourself test kits will provide a comprehensive analysis of mold in your home. Plus, all the materials you will need and the lab fees are included in the cost of the kit.
Continue reading

Sylvane Dehumidifiers Named Top Picks by Leading Consumer Reporting Agency

Posted by Ivey on June 4th, 2010

Flooding Water DamageAs a lifelong resident of the Southeastern United States, I am all too familiar with the delicate balance of humidity and coolness necessary to stay comfortable during steamy summer months. To achieve this harmony, many people look for air treatment solutions such as dehumidifiers to remove uncomfortable and potentially harmful excess moisture from their homes. With so many of these appliances on the market, how do you know which one is the best value?

A leading consumer reporting agency recently ranked two Danby dehumidifiers offered by Sylvane among their top picks for efficient, cost-effective moisture removal options. The Danby DDR6009REE ranked among the top five for large-capacity dehumidifiers, and the Danby DDR5009REE ranked among the top five as well for medium-capacity dehumidifiers.
Continue reading

Dehumidifiers Help Museums Preserve Collections

Posted by Ivey on January 29th, 2010

Interior of the Louvre MuseumMaintaining an optimal climate in museum collections can be extremely tricky. Everything from the general climate of the region to types of items in the collection to the comfort of museum visitors and employees must be taken into account. Relative humidity is one key consideration.

According to an article by the Northern States Conservation Center that addresses temperature and relative humidity levels for museum objects, “there is no single relative humidity range that is ideal for all museum objects.” However, NSCC does recommend maintaining a non-fluctuating relative humidity (RH) above 25% and below 65% for mixed collections — noting that many museums maintain an RH of 45%.

Keeping a consistent relative humidity is crucial, as an RH below 25% “can cause embrittlement of hygroscopic materials such as leather and paper,” and an RH above 25% can lead to mold growth and metal corrosion.
Continue reading

Mold Dangers in Mobile Homes

Posted by John on October 30th, 2008

Mold can invade any home, but mobile homes are at increased risk of mold problems.

Tom Riley discovered this after his family moved into a mobile home in Mississippi. Within six months of moving in, his family experienced respiratory problems, coughing, and laryngitis. At one point, his seven-year-old son collapsed in the hallway.

Riley then found mold dots sprinkled throughout the mobile home in the top of closets, according to the Clarion Ledger.

“With the mobile home industry, structure and installation is a problem. Builders are in a hurry; things get in a hurry. Who wants to step up to the plate and fix this? It will be expensive to fix. Medical issues are expensive. Environmental cleanup is expensive,” Riley said. Continue reading

Santa Fe Max Dry Dual XT Dehumidifier Review

Posted by John on October 1st, 2008

Santa Fe Max Dry dehumidifiersAt first glance, the massive Santa Fe Max Dry Dual XT dehumidifier may look like a mummification chamber that you might find in Michael Jackson’s basement – but it’s not as big as it looks in the online photo. At just over three feet in length, it actually has a rather small footprint, especially when you consider its dehumidifying power. Intended for crawlspaces and large basements, the Santa Fe Max Dry covers 3,600 square feet and can remove 155 pints of moisture per day (and 310 pints at complete saturation).

Even though it’s one of the most powerful dehumidifiers on the market, the Max Dry Dual XT features an Energy Star rating. To get the same effect with off-the-shelf units, you’d have to plug in four or five of them – and use four or five times as much electricity! Continue reading

What is Relative Humidity?

Posted by John on September 27th, 2008

Keep your indoor relative humidity below 50 percent to avoid growth of mold and dust mites. That’s standard advice for allergy sufferers. But what exactly is relative humidity?

Relative humidity is a measurement of the amount of water vapor in the air expressed as a percentage of how much water vapor the air could hold. If relative humidity is 100 percent, for example, then it’s raining. Most people are comfortable with an indoor relative humidity of 45 to 50 percent. When relative humidity goes above 50 percent, the excess moisture in the air makes it easier for mold and dust mites to spread. Continue reading

Mold Allergy Treatment – Environmental Control

Posted by John on August 21st, 2008

I know all about mold allergy. During my first few years of grade school, it seemed like I always had a cold. My chronic cold turned out to be allergies, mold and grass pollen allergies in particular. After the diagnosis, I was given allergy medication and allergy shots (immunotherapy) – but back then, I never learned about the other effective method of treating mold allergies: Environmental control. If you can eliminate the source of mold in your environment, then your allergy symptoms will subside.

PR Newswire recently published a press release from Sylvane.com: Creating a Healthy Home Environment: Mold and Mildew Free.

Stephen Hong, President of Sylvane.com, explains, “The key to mold control is moisture control… Indoor mold is a major cause of sinus infections, allergies, and asthma attacks, not to mention structural damage to buildings, but if you control your home’s humidity, then mold doesn’t stand a chance.” Continue reading

Santa Fe Compact Dehumidifier Review

Posted by John on July 25th, 2008

Santa Fe Compact DehumidifierEditor’s Note: The original Santa Fe Compact Dehumidifier has been replaced by the Santa Fe Compact 2 Dehumidifier. It packs all the same features as the original model, but has a slightly higher moisture removal capacity along with a more compact and efficient design.

Don’t let its size fool you; this 65-pint capacity dehumidifier may not be much bigger than a breadbox, but it’s twice as powerful as the 65-pint dehumidifiers at your local hardware store – and it’s more energy efficient.

The Santa Fe Compact Dehumidifier is made to fit in small places – crawlspaces, basements, closets, and even between floor joists. You can suspend it from above with the optional hang kit; make it a truly portable dehumidifier with the caster kit; or hide it inside a utility closet with the ducting kit. Continue reading

Indoor Swimming Pools Create Unique Health Problems

Posted by John on July 22nd, 2008

This summer my baby sister (who is 18 months old) started taking swimming lessons at an indoor swimming pool. I think that all children should take swimming lessons – you never know when they’ll need those skills, and swimming is great exercise – but parents also need to be aware of the health risks associated with indoor pools. Chlorine byproducts contaminate the air above indoor swimming pools and have been linked to lung damage, asthma, and cancer. Indoor pools also increase humidity, which can lead to mold growth. Continue reading