Posted by John on October 30th, 2008
Mold can invade any home, but mobile homes are at increased risk of mold problems.
Tom Riley discovered this after his family moved into a mobile home in Mississippi. Within six months of moving in, his family experienced respiratory problems, coughing, and laryngitis. At one point, his seven-year-old son collapsed in the hallway.
Riley then found mold dots sprinkled throughout the mobile home in the top of closets, according to the Clarion Ledger.
“With the mobile home industry, structure and installation is a problem. Builders are in a hurry; things get in a hurry. Who wants to step up to the plate and fix this? It will be expensive to fix. Medical issues are expensive. Environmental cleanup is expensive,” Riley said. Read more about mold in mobile homes
Posted by John on October 1st, 2008
At first glance, the massive Santa Fe Max Dry Dual XT dehumidifier may look like a mummification chamber that you might find in Michael Jackson’s basement – but it’s not as big as it looks in the online photo. At just over three feet in length, it actually has a rather small footprint, especially when you consider its dehumidifying power. Intended for crawlspaces and large basements, the Santa Fe Max Dry covers 3,600 square feet and can remove 150 pints of moisture per day (and 300 pints at complete saturation).
Even though it’s one of the most powerful dehumidifiers on the market, the Max Dry Dual XT features an Energy Star rating. To get the same effect with off-the-shelf units, you’d have to plug in four or five of them – and use four or five times as much electricity! Read more about Santa Fe Max Dry Dual XT dehumidifiers
Posted by John on September 27th, 2008
Keep your indoor relative humidity below 50 percent to avoid growth of mold and dust mites. That’s standard advice for allergy sufferers. But what exactly is relative humidity?
Relative humidity is a measurement of the amount of water vapor in the air expressed as a percentage of how much water vapor the air could hold. If relative humidity is 100 percent, for example, then it’s raining. Most people are comfortable with an indoor relative humidity of 45 to 50 percent. When relative humidity goes above 50 percent, the excess moisture in the air makes it easier for mold and dust mites to spread. Read more about relative humidity
Posted by John on August 21st, 2008
I know all about mold allergy. During my first few years of grade school, it seemed like I always had a cold. My chronic cold turned out to be allergies, mold and grass pollen allergies in particular. After the diagnosis, I was given allergy medication and allergy shots (immunotherapy) – but back then, I never learned about the other effective method of treating mold allergies: Environmental control. If you can eliminate the source of mold in your environment, then your allergy symptoms will subside.
PR Newswire recently published a press release from Sylvane.com: Creating a Healthy Home Environment: Mold and Mildew Free.
Stephen Hong, President of Sylvane.com, explains, “The key to mold control is moisture control… Indoor mold is a major cause of sinus infections, allergies, and asthma attacks, not to mention structural damage to buildings, but if you control your home’s humidity, then mold doesn’t stand a chance.” Read more about how to combat mold allergy using environmental control
Posted by John on July 25th, 2008
Don’t let its size fool you; this 65-pint capacity dehumidifier may not be much bigger than a breadbox, but it’s twice as powerful as the 65-pint dehumidifiers at your local hardware store – and it’s more energy efficient.
The Santa Fe Compact Dehumidifier is made to fit in small places – crawlspaces, basements, closets, and even between floor joists. You can suspend it from above with the optional hang kit; make it a truly portable dehumidifier with the caster kit; or hide it inside a utility closet with the ducting kit. Read more about Santa Fe Compact Dehumidifiers
Posted by John on July 22nd, 2008
This summer my baby sister (who is 18 months old) started taking swimming lessons at an indoor swimming pool. I think that all children should take swimming lessons – you never know when they’ll need those skills, and swimming is great exercise – but parents also need to be aware of the health risks associated with indoor pools. Chlorine byproducts contaminate the air above indoor swimming pools and have been linked to lung damage, asthma, and cancer. Indoor pools also increase humidity, which can lead to mold growth. Read more about health problems linked to indoor swimming pools