How to Prepare for a Flood
Flooding can happen anytime, anywhere. Are you prepared?
It’s important to be prepared for a flood – and it’s just as important to know what to do after a flood.
Follow these tips to be prepared for flooding:
Before a Flood
- Make sure that you have adequate flood insurance.
- Prepare a kit with emergency supplies. Also prepare a safe room in your home; include your emergency supplies, an air purifier, and a TV or radio. Plan an evacuation route in case you need to leave your home.
- If you know a flood is coming, you can place sandbags around doors and windows. Place valuable items on high shelves.
- Turn off your power before a flood hits.
During a Flood
- Monitor the news and stay in a safe place.
- Stay out of flood water and never drink flood water.
After a Flood
- Contact your insurance company.
- Extract any standing water with a water pump, or call a water damage restoration company.
- Open doors and windows to air out the house, and turn on dehumidifiers.
- Dry out and disinfect any wet items immediately. (Mold begins to grow in just two days.) Dri-Eaz manufactures a variety of products that will help you dry carpet, upholstery, and more.
- If water damage is extensive, call a water damage restoration professional immediately.