Mold Dangers in Mobile Homes

Mold can invade any home, but mobile homes are at increased risk of mold problems.

Tom Riley discovered this after his family moved into a mobile home in Mississippi. Within six months of moving in, his family experienced respiratory problems, coughing, and laryngitis. At one point, his seven-year-old son collapsed in the hallway.

Riley then found mold dots sprinkled throughout the mobile home in the top of closets, according to the Clarion Ledger.

“With the mobile home industry, structure and installation is a problem. Builders are in a hurry; things get in a hurry. Who wants to step up to the plate and fix this? It will be expensive to fix. Medical issues are expensive. Environmental cleanup is expensive,” Riley said.

All mobile homes should be installed by a licensed installer. If they’re installed improperly – on land that’s not leveled, for instance – moisture can accumulate under the homes and lead to mold growth.

mold disinfectantIf you find mold in your home, find and repair the source of moisture. Clean up mold using a non-corrosive disinfectant. Remove and replace damaged materials. If the mold growth is large, call a mold remediation professional to clean it up.

dehumidifiersThe key to mold control is moisture control. Clean up any water damage within 24 hours to prevent mold growth. You should also keep your indoor humidity below 50 percent; you can monitor humidity with a humidity gauge and remove excess moisture from the air with a dehumidifier.

Reactions to mold range from mild to life-threatening. Mold spores not only produces allergens, but they can also produce airborne toxins known as mycotoxins. Mold can easily trigger asthma attacks.
Symptoms of mold exposure include sneezing, watery eyes, itchy nose, post-nasal drip, and shortness of breath. If left untreated, symptoms could progress to a fungal infection of the sinuses or lungs. If you see smell or see mold in your home, do not ignore it.

See Mold Allergy Treatment – Environmental Control for more information about maintaining a healthy, mold-free home.

Leave a Reply


  1. John Jacobs

    Mold is incredibly nasty and I had some during the Atlanta floods this year. I’m up to date on dehumidifiers, but I was not aware of some of those disinfectants. Since my house is right next to a creek, I’m going to try this the next time our area floods. Thanks for the advice!

  2. dr john

    our problem is a mold that looks like coffee grounds on the table tops in about 6 inch circles all over the house–cant tell where it comes from–have checked floor vents and ceiling vents–what is it and what causes it ?

  3. John

    It sounds like you might have toxic mold, which can be caused by water damage or excess humidity in your home (a relative humidity below 50% is best).

    You can try a Toxic Mold Test Kit to identify the types of mold in your home. This kit can tell you in 5 minutes if your home tests negative or positive for a strand of toxic mold (Aspergillus Niger or Stachybotrys).

    You may also want to ask a mold expert to come confirm the type of mold and discuss treatment methods.

Next ArticleHow Humidifiers Treat Cold Symptoms