If you can’t stand the heat, don’t get out of the kitchen. Get a portable air conditioner instead! PACs, or spot coolers, have been around for a while, but their popularity has soared in recent years due to their convenience, versatility, and energy efficiency.
Here are the top five benefits of owning a portable air conditioner:
1. Low Price – All things considered, portable air conditioners are more affordable than conventional window air conditioners. (Of course, the high-end portable spot coolers will cost more than the low-end window units.)
2. No Installation Required – You don’t have to call a professional or break a sweat to set up a portable air conditioner. Just find an exit for the exhaust hose, and you’re done. Snap!
3. Portable and Convenient – Thanks to the built-in casters, you can roll your portable air conditioner from room to room – wherever you need cool air. Most of them are also lightweight and easy to carry.
4. Energy Efficient – Compared to a central air conditioner that cools an entire house, a portable air conditioner is much more energy efficient. A PAC is smaller and incurs lower operation costs. Plus, with a PAC, you can focus on specific areas that need to be cooled. That’s true efficiency.
5. Bonus Features – A spot cooler not only cools the air, but it also dehumidifies the air. If you suffer from allergies, you know that it’s important to keep indoor humidity levels low – because high humidity encourages the growth of allergens like mold and dust mites. Some portable air conditioners feature a “dehumidify-only” mode that will remove moisture from the air without cooling it (see Sharp portable air conditioners).
Other PACs feature built-in high-efficiency air filters to clean the air, and some even include built-in heaters so that the appliance offers functionality and value year-round. The Soleus Air PA1-12R-32, for instance, may serve as a portable air conditioner, a heater, a dehumidifier, an air purifier, or a fan.