Last Friday (the 13th), one of our employees – with a particularly keen sense of smell – detected a potentially deadly problem with our office’s air quality. Walking back and forth from the warehouse, our warehouse manager, Drew, (and his bloodhound-like olfactory sense) sniffed traces of gas that seemed to be emanating from the Sylvane break room. As an initial step, we confirmed the presence of a dangerous gas using our trusty Safety Siren Pro Series Combination Gas Detector. But when it was clear that the odor was growing stronger, we thought it was best to call in a natural gas expert to diagnose the problem and advise us on how to handle it. A half-hour later, we identified the scary pollutant – carbon monoxide. The culprit? More on that in a minute. Read more about carbon monoxide
American Profile recently interviewed Michael Vogel, director of the Montana chapter of Healthy Indoor Air for American’s Homes. He has been offering indoor air quality advice for over 20 years.
Vogel points out that “Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote an article on the importance of fresh air and ventilation back in the 1800s” – but today, experts know much more about the risks of various pollutants. Read more about indoor air quality
With heating bills expected to be even higher than last year’s, it’s important to weatherize your home to conserve energy – but it’s also important to maintain healthy indoor air quality once you seal up your house.
Even a well-insulated home may contain several gaps and cracks that allow heat to escape. Place weather-stripping around doors and windows, and seal any gaps in building materials with caulking. Learn more about winter indoor air quality
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that kills approximately 2500 Americans each year. Carbon monoxide, or CO, is found in combustion fumes from automobiles, small engines, lanterns, stoves, grills, fireplaces, gas power generators, and gas ranges and heating systems. When these fumes build up in enclosed spaces, people can easily die from breathing CO. Read more about carbon monoxide poisoning