Using a humidifier in the wintertime can be a great fix for the health, comfort, and interior problems caused by dry air. By dispersing an invisible mist of moisture throughout a space, these appliances help relieve dry and itchy skin, moisturize parched respiratory passages, and reduce the amount of static electricity in your indoor environment. However, when not properly cared for and maintained, a humidifier can quickly become a health hazard. Here’s how.
All humidifiers, regardless of their type, carry a risk of bacteria and mold growth. This may be the result of two things: (a.) Failing to clean the humidifier’s components and change the water regularly; and (b.) Filling the humidifier with mineral-rich tap water. When bacteria and mold grow and multiply inside a humidifier, traces of them can be released into the air you breathe. Read more about the importance of maintaining your humidifier