Posted by Ivey on November 5th, 2010
If you are thinking about starting some home improvement projects, a new study released by HealthyStuff.org and conducted by the Ecology Center of Ann Arbor, Mich. reveals that you might have more to think about than comfort and décor. The study tested 3,300 home improvement products: 1,016 samples of flooring and 2,312 samples of wallpaper. The results are a bit shocking.
Heavy metals and other chemical additives, which include lead, cadmium, flame retardants, tin compounds, and phthalates, were commonly found in residential flooring and wallpaper. In fact, more than half of the flooring samples tested positive for one or more chemical additives. Vinyl flooring was indicated to be the most harmful—containing the highest percentage of detectable lead and being twice as likely to contain hazardous chemicals.
Find out more study findings and some healthy home alternatives
Posted by John on October 26th, 2008
Children who are exposed to lead and tobacco smoke are eight times more likely to develop attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), reports the Cincinnati Enquirer.
“Tobacco and lead exposure together seem to have a synergistic, negative effect,” said Dr. Tanya Froehlich, lead author of the Cincinnati study. Read more about environmental causes of ADHD
Posted by John on October 23rd, 2008
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. consumers buy over 3 billion dry cell batteries and 350 million rechargeable batteries each year. Unfortunately, most people simply toss batteries in the trash when they’re dead. According to Rod Muir of the Sierra Club, discarded batteries are “toxic little time bombs.”
Batteries often contain toxic heavy metals like cadmium, lead, chromium, and mercury. When batteries end up in a landfill, these heavy metals eventually end up in our water supply. Read more about toxic batteries
Posted by John on September 23rd, 2008
Last week four federal agencies held their first Healthy Homes Summit in Baltimore. The goal of the summit was to promote the building of healthy homes free of lead, chemicals, mold, moisture, and pests.
“Health doesn’t happen in the hospital. It happens at home,” says Julie Gerberding, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Our goal isn’t to be Big Brother, but people are asking for advice and information.” Read more about the Healthy Homes Summit
Posted by John on September 10th, 2008
Lead is a naturally occurring element used in batteries, solder, ammunition, pipes, and some roofing materials. In the past, lead was used in paint and gasoline. Lead is no longer in paint or gasoline because scientists realized that exposure to lead poses some serious health risks.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there is no safe level of lead in the body. Children absorb lead more readily than adults, and even the smallest amount of lead can lead to learning disorders. At higher levels, lead can damage kidneys and nervous system, and high levels of exposure may cause mental retardation, coma, convulsions, and death. Read more about lead exposure