Sylvane.com » Indoor Health Matters


Tylenol Use Linked to Child Asthma

Posted by John on September 24th, 2008

If your baby or toddler has a low-grade fever, you should resist the parental urge to reach for a Tylenol bottle. Young children who are given Tylenol (also known as paracetamol or acetaminophen) have a 50 percent increased risk of developing allergic disease, according to The West Australian.

Children who take Tylenol frequently have triple the risk of developing asthma and nasal allergies and double the risk of developing eczema.

Lead researcher Richard Beasley of the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand says, “This study provides worldwide evidence that the use of paracetamol in childhood can increase the risk of developing asthma and related allergic disorders.”

Beasley says that Tylenol “remains the preferred drug to relieve pain and fever in children” – but it should be reserved for children with a high fever, and it should never be used routinely. Beasley recommends giving Tylenol to children only when they have a fever higher than 101.3 degrees Fahrenheit, or 38.5 degrees Celsius. You should never give aspirin to children.

HEPA vacuumsYou can also reduce the risk of asthma in your child by keeping your home clear of common allergens like dust and mold. Air purifiers and HEPA vacuums will eliminate the majority of household allergens. If your child suffers from allergy symptoms or a persistent cough during the night, consider allergy bedding.

Tags:
Posted in Asthma

2 Responses to “Tylenol Use Linked to Child Asthma”

  1. Donny Bronson Says:

    I beleive that soil gases, especially radon gas is very dangerous due to heavy metal build up in the lung tissue. Please let people know of the dangers of soil gases(molds, spores, natural toxins, non-natural toxins) that may be linked to asthma and other lung diseases.

    Sincerely,

    Donny Bronson
    member
    MolecularBiologist
    Rocky Mtn Radon Control,LLC

  2. Ivey Says:

    Hi Donny! Thanks so much for your comment. I completely agree that radon is exceptionally dangerous, especially in terms of lung cancer. Since it is odorless and tasteless, it often goes unnoticed in homes. That’s why we encourage everyone to install a radon detector.

    We’ve also got lots of more in-depth articles about living with asthma and allergies in our Learning Center. If you get a chance, pop over and check some of those out!

Leave a Reply