Friedrich always seems to be ahead of the pack when it comes to home appliances, particularly home cooling systems. Their revolutionary Breeze mini-split ACs continue this tradition with design features that are rarely found in other mini-split systems. Two main features set the Breeze apart from other mini-splits: (1) their versatile installation, which doesn’t require a professional and (2) the heat and other modes included in both Breeze models.
Friedrich offers 2 Breeze models. They share the same features and modes but different cooling and heating capacities. The first is a 12,000 BTU Breeze model designed for smaller spaces and capable of cooling (and heating) spaces as large as 500 square feet; and a 24,000 BTU Breeze model designed for spaces from 550-1500 square feet. Both models come with everything you need in one box.
If you're unfamiliar with ductless mini-splits and their unique cooling method, we'll offer a quick overview before explaining how the Breeze is changing the game.
Mini-split systems are growing in popularity because of their ability to efficiently cool multiple areas of your home. They have one outdoor unit that acts as the condenser and at least one indoor unit that disperses cool air around your space. All mini-splits are quiet since the condenser is located outside, minimizing any sound you'll hear. The indoor and outdoor units are connected by refrigerant lines that traditionally need to be professionally installed through a small hole in the wall—typically by an HVAC professional—although the Breeze has changed the rule on professional installation requirements.
For more information on ductless mini-splits, check out our Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner Buying Guide.
The Breeze Difference
The Friedrich Breeze works like most mini-split systems, but its design is far more versatile. It's one of the only mini-split systems that doesn’t require professional installation, because its refrigerant lines can be installed through a window. Their quick-connect line sets make installation faster and easier than any other mini-split AC option. In order to install your Breeze through a window, simply purchase the SimpleSill accessory for 22-32 inch-wide windows or for 32-42 inch-wide windows.
Both Breeze models also offer heat, making them a year-round source of comfort. In addition, they also offer fan-only operation for when Cool mode isn’t needed and a dehumidify mode, which removes excess moisture from your space.
An automatic mode allows this unit to switch from cooling to heat (or vice versa). This feature ensures your room temperature is met and makes operation even easier.
Mini-splits are extremely efficient, primarily for 2 reasons:
- Zone Cooling: Target the areas of your home you use the most instead of cooling your entire space, including rooms you rarely use.
- No Ducts: Dirt ducts can spread allergens and other particles around your home, and nearly all ducted systems lose some efficiency due to leaks, cracks, or disconnection.
In addition to these factors, the Breeze also uses variable inverter technology that ensures it's always operating as efficiently as possible. Instead of reaching your set temperature and cycling on and off to maintain it like central ACs, the Breeze only uses enough energy to reach and maintain it continuously.
For example, the Breeze BR0412W1A uses up to 12,000 BTUs of cooling power. But it can use as little as 4,000 BTUs if that's all it needs to meet your set temperature. This technology is more efficient and requires less compressor startups.
Additional Breeze Features
Both Breeze models come with the following additional features:
- LCD Remote: This remote controls the indoor unit for quick, hassle-free operation.
- Four Cooling Speeds: Reach your exact room temperature by adjusting the fan speed.
- 24-Hour Timer: Program your Breeze to either cool or heat your space up to 24-hours in advance using this tool.
- Continuous Air Sweep Up & Down: Air is automatically distributed around your space.
- Washable Air Filters: Wash and reuse your air filters to keep unwanted particles out of your space and also save on replacement filters.
- Long Reach: This model reaches up to 25' from indoor to outdoor unit for basement, upstairs and interior room installations.
- Quick-Connect Refrigerant: Unique snap-in quick connect refrigerant and electrical line with peel-away drain line.
- Auto-Restart: After a power outage, your AC turns back on to the previously programmed settings.
Check out the Breeze for Small Rooms or Breeze for Large Rooms if you're interested in learning more about or purchasing one of these models.